Jiwa import process

Discussions relating to breakout scripting, .NET and COM programming with Jiwa objects.

Jiwa import process

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:48 pm

Hi,

Are there are any implications with inserting orders placed online from our site directly into the database as opposed to using XML files with the Jiwa file watcher?

Regards,
Michael
Michael
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Jiwa import process

Postby Mike.Sheen » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:20 pm

Michael wrote:Are there are any implications with inserting orders placed online from our site directly into the database as opposed to using XML files with the Jiwa file watcher?

Hi Michael,

Yes, there are some considerations and potential problems.

When you use the XML import, it uses our business logic for the appropriate document (in your case, the sales order business logic) and as such the logic associated with both the sales order and the system in general are enforced. This basically means that the nuances of how to create an order are abstracted away and insulated from you. Things like FIFO stock allocation are complex and not something you'd want to do with direct table inserts / updates.

If the orders you place don't involve the complex aspects of sales order entry - such as stock allocation, payments, et cetera - then direct inserts aren't that difficult, but there are still many rules you must adhere to in order to maintain data integrity. We don't document how to do those direct inserts to the database, but we can help with that if you feel it's the best solution for you.

As you have posted in the Jiwa 6 forum, I'm going to assume you're interested in integrating with version 6 of Jiwa and not Version 7 (if you are using Version 7 or going to be moving to that version soon, then there are also web services options for order entry which may be of interest to you). In both versions I would recommend order entry from an online store to not be done using direct table inserts.

We have a low-priority project (meaning when we have the time!) in progress to build an integration with the Magento e-commerce solution with Jiwa 7. This is using web services and the Jiwa 7 plugin framework. We're only part way into that project but it may be worth keeping in mind if you are developing an e-commerce front end to Jiwa.

In summary - we don't recommend direct database inserts for integrations, but it is possible - it all depends on the scope of the integration.

I hope that helps - if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Mike
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 756

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:03 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your prompt and detailed response.

I understand, in that case I will refrain from directly inserting the data.

Yes, we are operating with Jiwa 6.5 but have plans to begin the migration process over to version 7 in the next month or so. We’re currently in the early stages of redeveloping a custom e-commerce solution for some key processes and unfortunately can’t wait for the Magneto integration (as much as I would like to!). It may however be of interest in the future.

Could you please elaborate on the web services options you mentioned? If you have any supporting documentation you may already have regarding the database e.g. data flows etc that would also be helpful.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Mike.Sheen » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:15 am

Michael wrote:Could you please elaborate on the web services options you mentioned? If you have any supporting documentation you may already have regarding the database e.g. data flows etc that would also be helpful.

The web service documentation for version 6 can be downloaded here [ftp.jiwa.com.au]. The installation for version 6 web services can be downloaded here [ftp.jiwa.com.au] - and this also includes the documentation.

The Jiwa 7 web service documentation can be viewed online here [help.jiwa.com.au] - In version 7 the web service is installed as part of the Jiwa 7 package, and not a separate installation as is in version 6.

The Version 7 web services have been expanded since version 6 to add some more methods, and also from build 7.00.82.00 the option for using REST instead of WSHTTP - plus the option of serving JSON rather than XML has also been added.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 756

Return to Technical / Programming