Maintaing a Debtor Equipment database using Debtor Systems

Discussions relating to 3rd party solutions (customisations, reports, modules, applications) which are a value-add to the Jiwa product.

Maintaing a Debtor Equipment database using Debtor Systems

Postby Hyperus » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:24 pm

Another tid-bit from Hyp :)

Ever wanted to maintain a small equipment list/database for your debtors - just to keep track of things they have ?. Maybe you need to maintain specific details of items setup or configured, date of setup etc etc. Here is a small routine that will all you to maintain a small equipment database (or other items) against Debtor Maintenance records that may come in handy.

Attached to this post is a zip with all required files. It contains required breakout code for Jiwa and also 1 x TSQL Stored Procedures for installing into your Jiwa Database.

To install the tsql file below - Just start SQL Query Analyser and exec sp_racs_UpdateDebtorSystemDescriptions.sql as you would normally run tsql code snippets. Ensure you first set your TEST Jiwa Database as the default database before execution. Never deploy code like this to live until you are sure everything will be ok in test.

Now, the next step is to deploy the Jiwa Breakout text. This code runs in Debtor Maintenance.

Jiwa - Debtors - Maintenance - Record Menu - Manage Breakouts.

Left-Click "Form Loaded" breakout and paste the following :-
Code: Select all
FormObject.mRecordCustom(4).visible = True
FormObject.mRecordCustom(4).Caption = "RACS - Update Debtor Systems Descriptions"

Dont forget to leave the "End Sub" at the end on a line of its own.
Now Left-Click "Form Custom Menu Clicked" Breakout and paste the entire contents of the DebtorBreakout_FormCustomMenuClicked.txt file from the JiwaDebtorEquipmentDatabase.zip attached to this post. Note that this text DOES include the "End Sub". This also ASSUMES that you do't already have breakout code in here already.... please be cautious here.

Click OK to save all of the above changes then CLOSE.
Now, to start the configuration of your Equipment database structure. First step is to define your basic record item structure....

Jiwa - Debtors - Debtor System Templates.
Now... you need to start creating record object templates ready for use with the debtor records. In my case, I only required 3 records in here - a "SITE", a "COMPUTER", and a "DEVICE". Each of these 3 records get created in here with various fields.... it is IMPERATIVE for the mini-database to function correctly that you have a field on EACH of these template records called ".Description" WITHOUT THE QUOTES (.Description) - Make it the first field defined just to keep things simple. The reason for this is that this is the key description field that will be used for the description information to be copied onto the data records that will become attached to the debtor (this will become evident shortly).

Now, assuming that you now have the Template Records defined, close Debtor System Templates and goto Debtor Maintenance :-
Jiwa - Debtors - Maintenance.
Now pick a debtor to create some equipment records against, then choose "Customer Activities" tab, then "Debtor Systems" tab. Here is your mini-database. Now in the left column, Click the small up arrow and this will allow you to start creating a record based on one of the template records you have created earlier - Once again, ENSURE that the Template Records have a field called ".Description", or the Update Breakout you have configured will not function correctly. Once you have saved your data on this record, choose the Record Jiwa Menu - then "RACS - Update Debtor Systems Descriptions" Menu Item. Once run it will either report that no updates were required, OR it will report the number of records changed and refresh the display to update the Item with the ".Description" field from the record data making this left to the left edge much more meaningful (with the description you typed in the data for this record) when you have many records for this Debtor.....

I welcome any feedback regarding the above... all the usual disclaimers apply with regards to this above... This has been posted with the best intentions to assist others... However, I cannot accept any responsibility if things don't go as planned. I will however do my best to assist should issues arise. PLEASE TEST in a TEST Database before deploying so you can hit any possible snags as early as possible - I cannot stress this strongly enough.

/Roy Adams
Attachments
JiwaDebtorEquipmentDatabase.zip
TSQL Stored Proc and Jiwa Breakout code required for the Debtor Systems Mini-database
(1.34 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
Hyperus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to Third Party modules and solutions