Multi-warehouse functionality

Discussions relating to version the "old" version 7 of Jiwa

Multi-warehouse functionality

Postby jiwameister » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:51 pm

In the new version, can we please have the ability to transact on more than one warehouse in the same time without having to switch to the actual warehouse.

Ie - in a sales order - it should be possible to create a single order that may pick stock from multiple warehouses.

A work order on a bill of material should be able to consume stock from multiple warehouses (or at least put a request on the other warehouses). In this way when you are checking stock availability for a planned build - it should be able to see stock available in other warehouses (ie raw materials, production etc).

I am sure there are many other areas that may benefit as well.
Glenn Lake
Managing Director
Lonicera Pty Ltd
http://www.lonicera.com.au
jiwameister
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Multi-warehouse functionality

Postby Mike.Sheen » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:40 am

jiwameister wrote:In the new version, can we please have the ability to transact on more than one warehouse in the same time without having to switch to the actual warehouse.

Ie - in a sales order - it should be possible to create a single order that may pick stock from multiple warehouses.

A work order on a bill of material should be able to consume stock from multiple warehouses (or at least put a request on the other warehouses). In this way when you are checking stock availability for a planned build - it should be able to see stock available in other warehouses (ie raw materials, production etc).

I am sure there are many other areas that may benefit as well.

Cool idea - does the sales order in any way indicate which warehouses the various items should be picked from ? We could add a column to the sales order line item - that way pick documents could know easily which lines on which orders need to be picked.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 755

Re: Multi-warehouse functionality

Postby jiwameister » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:03 pm

Mike.Sheen wrote:Cool idea - does the sales order in any way indicate which warehouses the various items should be picked from ? We could add a column to the sales order line item - that way pick documents could know easily which lines on which orders need to be picked.

Well, I guess there could be a few ways of doing this, but allowing the user to select a warehouse would be the minimum requirement, but some logic to default it based on some business rules would be interesting.

Eg: A stock item may have some rules about which warehouses the item can be supplied from, or a default. Or - if no SOH in the current warehouse - and the business rules allows it, to supply (even ship) from an alternative warehouse, or raise a back order request between warehouses.

But most systems I have seen allow the selection of a location or warehouse at time of entry or order line. That would be useful by itself.

The other thing surrounding this is the fact that Purchase orders need to be entered in the warehouse you expect it to be received in which doesn't always make sense. If you could either enter the order with the warehouse per line (with a default) or not have the stock receipt process assume that the PO can only be received in the ordering warehouse.

There are other areas where this multi-warehouse functionality comes back to bite you - I am we could keep extending this discussion to cover other areas if necessary as well.
Glenn Lake
Managing Director
Lonicera Pty Ltd
http://www.lonicera.com.au
jiwameister
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to Archived - Jiwa 7