Record ID's

Discussions relating to version the "old" version 7 of Jiwa

Record ID's

Postby james.harper » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:12 pm

At the conference, it was mentioned that each table would have a column called 'RecID' as the primary key. Will this be a string or a 'uniqueidentifier'? The former is currently 20 or 36 bytes, while the latter is 16 bytes. I would like to see Jiwa use 'uniqueidentifier' fields as they are better form a performance point of view.
james.harper
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Record ID's

Postby Mike.Sheen » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:02 pm

At the moment we've just got CHAR(36) fields as the RecID data types, but we will change to uniqueidentifier's, with a default constraint of NewID() - or perhaps NewSequentialID

We were hoping to go to int types, but the technique of generating new, unique values - (ie : IDENTITY constraints) is horrible to work with.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 756

Re: Record ID's

Postby Mike.Sheen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:12 pm

Ok, today I've laid the groundwork for this, and UniqueIdentifier datatypes are in.

So, most tables will look something like this :

CREATE TABLE IN_Main
(
RecID UNIQUEIDENTIFIER NOT NULL DEFAULT NEWSEQUENTIALID(),
... // some more fields
LastSavedDateTime DATETIME NOT NULL,
RowHash TIMESTAMP NOT NULL
)

We are making use of the OUTPUT clause in the insert syntax for SQL 2005/2008 to read back the generated ID on insert.. so the actual SQL we issue looks something like this :

INSERT INTO IN_Main(PartNo, Description, ..., LastSavedDateTime)
OUTPUT Inserted.RecID
VALUES(@PartNo, @Description, ... GetDate())

What this means, is - as James quite rightly pointed out - is reduced row size and increased performance.

Anyone worried about how one writes queries in TSQL for UniqueIdentifier column literals should be able to rest at ease : you can provide literals easy enough..

eg :

SELECT * FROM IN_Main WHERE RecID = '6F9619FF-8B86-D011-B42D-00C04FC964FF'

works fine, as does :

SELECT * FROM IN_Main WHERE RecID = 0x6F9619FF8B86D011B42D00C04FC964FF

The above two queries are both valid, and would return the same row - just the latter uses the binary literal and the former uses a string literal. At the end of the day, the data stored is a 16 byte binary value - MS was just kind enough to allow queries to provide either a string or binary literal.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 756

Return to Archived - Jiwa 7