Standard Jiwa Crystal Report takes a long time to run

Find general Jiwa support here.

Standard Jiwa Crystal Report takes a long time to run

Postby changsen.wu » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:25 pm

Mike

I have a client running Jiwa 6.5.13 in a Windows 2008 Terminal Server environment. For one and only one specific user, when he attempts to run the standard debtor balance as at report, the report takes 20 minutes. For the same settings, everyone else can run the report and it takes only seconds. From the SQL trace, I can see that no SQL command is sent to the SQL Server until approximately 20 minutes later. All other Jiwa functionalities (and reports) work fine. Any idea what is going on? It looks to be environmental but I can't quite put a finger on it.

Thanks

Changsen
changsen.wu
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Standard Jiwa Crystal Report takes a long time to run

Postby Mike.Sheen » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:56 pm

changsen.wu wrote:For one and only one specific user, when he attempts to run the standard debtor balance as at report, the report takes 20 minutes. For the same settings, everyone else can run the report and it takes only seconds. From the SQL trace, I can see that no SQL command is sent to the SQL Server until approximately 20 minutes later. All other Jiwa functionalities (and reports) work fine. Any idea what is going on? It looks to be environmental but I can't quite put a finger on it.

Thanks

Changsen

Hi Changsen,

It does look environmental from what the information you've provided - try the following:

• Is the report path a network path? if so, try modifying their configuration for that report to use a local file
  • Try disabling any antivirus on the machine to see that has any effect.
  • Try a different printer, to see if it's a printer driver issue - or try printing it to a file (document writer printer)
  • Run the SysInternals process monitor on the machine whilst printing to try and identify any processes which may be the cause
  • Check the report for unusual font or datasource references

Mike
Last edited by Mike.Sheen on Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: reformatted suggests to be a list
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 756

Postby changsen.wu » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:22 am

Hi Mike

Thanks for the suggestions. One clarification - none of the Crystal reports would work within a reasonable amount time for this specific user than just a specific report. I have repointed report to a local copy, changed output to Microsoft XPS Document writer and none made any difference. I have fired up process monitor but I can't identify anything that seems to be holding things up (I have filtered on the specific user and process and threads only). Anything specific I should be looking for from sysmon?

Thanks

Changsen
changsen.wu
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby changsen.wu » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi Mike

I have now got a second user with identical issue whose account was just created. Can you please advise what I should be looking for in Sysmon to potentially troubleshoot this issue.

Regards

Changsen
changsen.wu
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Mike.Sheen » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:12 pm

Hi Changsen,

I'd be looking for unusual file or registry activity - It's a very vague and heuristic set of skills to identify areas of interest in such matters. If you see activity relating to file or key not found, that would be my first line of enquiry - but in my experience there will be a lot of dead ends and false hope before you identify the culprit. It is tedious and mind-numbing work.

The assumption I have is other users do not experience this issue, are you able to create a new TS user and replicate the issue? if so we can remote in and start the troubleshooting process - you would just need to provide the login details, and anything else we would need to see the problem for ourselves.

Mike
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 756

Return to Core Product Support