Inventory unit of measure  Topic is solved

Support for Microsoft SQL Server in the context of Jiwa installations.

Inventory unit of measure

Postby JuiceyBrucey » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:58 am

Hi, I am creating a test inventory item for using in integration in my CMS and have added various weights for this test inventory item.
The problem with this is that the various units of measure do not allow for a varied price for that unit of measure.
Each different unit of measure has allowance for a different EAN or UPC number, meaning technically it is a different product, yet there is no provision for a different price.
Is there something I am missing here?
Cheers
JuiceyBrucey
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Topics Solved: 1

Re: Inventory unit of measure  Topic is solved

Postby Scott.Pearce » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:43 pm

Unit of measure affects the quantities. The price is always for quantity = 1.

For example, in the demo data there is part called "0U-PeasTin".

It's SKU is "Tin". (See the "Stock Keeping Unit" field on the "Unit of Measure" tab of the inventory maintenance screen (Inventory->Maintenance)).
0U-PeasTin has a price is 1.95 (See the "Sell Price" field on the "Main" tab). This price is for the SKU, which is always a quantity = 1.
It has a unit of measure called "Carton". A "Carton" contains 6 "Tins". There is no special price for a "Carton". However, we could add quantity price breaks via the "Prices" tab, which would have the same effect.

I add "0U-PeasTin" to a sales order and by default I get unit of measure of "Tin" (which is the SKU), and a quantity unit of measure of 1. Because the unit of measure is the SKU, then the unit of measure of 1 = quantity ordered of 1. The price for quantity = 1 is $1.95. Note: you may have to right click on the grid, enable "Use Custom Columns", and then use the "Manage Grid..." option to un-hide the "Unit of Measure" and "Quantity Unit Of Measure" columns.
Now I change the unit of measure on the sales order line from "Tin" to "Carton". I then enter a 1 in the "Quantity Unit of Measure" field, indicating I want 1 "Carton" - see that the "Quantity Ordered" now changes to 6. This is because a carton contains 6 tins, and the "Quantity Ordered" field is always representative of the SKU quantity. The price remains at $1.95 because that is the SKU price (i.e. the price each). The extended price changes, however, to reflect the total, being 6 x $1.95 which equals $11.70.

tl;dr - Everything is based around a quantity of 1 and gets multiplied out based on quantity of inners for a unit of measure. You can use quantity breaks to achieve the effect of special price per unit of measure.
Scott Pearce
Senior Analyst/Programmer
Jiwa Financials
Scott.Pearce
Senpai
Senpai

Topics Solved: 221

Return to Microsoft SQL Server