Installing JIWA Client on Win Server Core

Discussions relating to plugin development, and the Jiwa API.

Installing JIWA Client on Win Server Core

Postby Joe.Thorpe » Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:10 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to setup the JIWA API service in a Docker container, so that i can run it on Azure App Service.

Preamble

I'm doing this because:]
* I have a requirement to run it in Azure.
* I need to fully automate deployment.
* I cannot deal with the additional workload of patching virtual machines.

Setting up the JIWA API requires:
* Installing the JIWA Client (Setup.exe & SR18.msp)
* Enabling & Starting the JiwaAPISelfHosted service

If you're wondering why the self hosted service, not IIS. the self hosted service + Azure Web Application Firewall is less to manage. I've also had more success with the self-hosted option in the past.

I've not had any success getting JIWA installed, so I'm trying to script the install on a Windows Server Core 2022 VM, where it's easier to troubleshoot. If that works, then building a docker container should be straightforward.

Finally I can get to my question. What arguments do i need to give the exe to get it to run on a Server Core install?

I have tried:

Code: Select all
./Setup.exe /exenoui /qn /l*v install.log /norestart

(I also tried /quiet, /passive)
./Setup.exe /extract, then msiexec /i Setup.msi /qn /passive /quiet /norestart /l*v "install.log"

Both fail with a generic code 1603 error in the install log.

So I tried without the reduced UI or quiet switches:

Setup.exe /l*v install.log /norestart

And got the error
Module C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Common\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86\pageobjectmodel.dll failed to register. HSRESULT -2147024770.

I just tried on a clean non Core Windows Server 2022 VM, and the install works. Do you know what's causing this?

I found this SAP article, but it won't let me read it (even after making an account..) https://userapps.support.sap.com/sap/su ... en/2795448

I can DM the install log if that'll help.
Joe.Thorpe
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Topics Solved: 1

Re: Installing JIWA Client on Win Server Core

Postby Mike.Sheen » Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:06 pm

Joe.Thorpe wrote:
And got the error
Module C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Common\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86\pageobjectmodel.dll failed to register. HSRESULT -2147024770.

I just tried on a clean non Core Windows Server 2022 VM, and the install works. Do you know what's causing this?

I found this SAP article, but it won't let me read it (even after making an account..) https://userapps.support.sap.com/sap/su ... en/2795448

I can read that SAP KB article just fine - not logged in with an SAP account at all - even a private window in Edge works fine.

I've attached a screen grab of it for your convenience:
SAP_KB_2795448.png

Joe.Thorpe wrote:Do you know what's causing this?

Sorry - I do not - the KB article you referenced says the cause is:
Conflict with another version of Crystal Reports dlls registered on the same machine. It could be CR runtime, Crystal Reports for Visual Studio version 13.0 dlls, BOE Client Tools 3.1 or other versions.

As of Crystal Reports 2013 14.1.10, Crystal Reports 2016 14.2.4 and Crystal Reports for Visual Studio SP 21 13.0.21.xxxx we did a C++ VC dependency and security update so any previous versions must be brought up to at least those minimum Service Packs noted above to be able to work together on the same PC.

With a resolution of:
Remove old versions of BOE Client Tools
Note, It is not possible to have Crystal Reports Visual Studio runtime and Crystal Reports Designer on the same machine. Runtime installation is not required with Crystal Reports Designer installed.
Resolution: Uninstall Crystal Reports for Visual Studio. Make sure there is no C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\ folder on the machine. Then reinstall Crystal Reports 2016
Install CR for VS SP 21 or above and bring the application up to the latest version

Assuming that article directly relates to your issue, that is.

We've always had deployment issues with Crystal Reports, particularly since one of their updates started depending on entries in the registry - we used to be able to run the Jiwa 7 Self Hosted REST API as an Azure App Service, but that stopped working when they started requiring registry entries to even load an assembly with a Crystal runtime reference.

Hopefully someone else here with more experience than me on deployment matters can help you out.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 764

Postby Joe.Thorpe » Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:41 pm

Mike.Sheen wrote:
Joe.Thorpe wrote:We've always had deployment issues with Crystal Reports, particularly since one of their updates started depending on entries in the registry - we used to be able to run the Jiwa 7 Self Hosted REST API as an Azure App Service, but that stopped working when they started requiring registry entries to even load an assembly with a Crystal runtime reference.

Hopefully someone else here with more experience than me on deployment matters can help you out.

Thanks for the response. Could you tell me exactly what Crystal Reports package & version needs to be installed? Maybe I can troubleshoot.

https://imgur.com/a/scz4JsC / https://origin.softwaredownloads.sap.co ... index.html

Also how did you run it in App Service before? I assume not in a container?
Joe.Thorpe
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Scott.Pearce » Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:48 pm

Joe.Thorpe wrote:Could you tell me exactly what Crystal Reports package & version needs to be installed?

Jiwa 7.2.1.0 SRx deploys "CRRuntime_13_0_22.msm". This is a merge module which comes as part of "SAP Crystal Reports, developer version for Microsoft Visual Studio SP 22".

Edit: you may be able to instead deploy the .msi equivalent, if one exists. (Merge modules are not "deployable" directly, as such).
Scott Pearce
Senior Analyst/Programmer
Jiwa Financials
Scott.Pearce
Senpai
Senpai

Topics Solved: 223

Postby Joe.Thorpe » Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:49 pm

Scott.Pearce wrote:
Joe.Thorpe wrote:Could you tell me exactly what Crystal Reports package & version needs to be installed?

Jiwa 7.2.1.0 SRx deploys "CRRuntime_13_0_22.msm". This is a merge module which comes as part of "SAP Crystal Reports, developer version for Microsoft Visual Studio SP 22".

Edit: you may be able to instead deploy the .msi equivalent, if one exists. (Merge modules are not "deployable" directly, as such).

Thanks. I didn't have much luck. CR appears to depend on some DLLs like oledlg.dll, which is part of some windows UI-related stuff called oleui. It makes sense that's not available in server core.

Is it possible for me to run the API server in App Service the same way that you did?
Joe.Thorpe
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby SBarnes » Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:03 am

Is it possible for me to run the API server in App Service the same way that you did?

The short answer to that without having read through the entire post is NO.

The reason is to run the api requires the use of JiwaFinancials.Jiwa.JiwaApplication.Manager which in turn requires that Crystal Reports be installed which requires registration of certain files in the windows registry even if you are not using anything Crystal related and basically Azure does not support this in an App Service period.
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Topics Solved: 182

Return to Technical and or Programming