64 Bit Jiwa  Topic is solved

Discussions relating to plugin development, and the Jiwa API.

64 Bit Jiwa

Postby SBarnes » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:38 pm

Are there any plans to take Jiwa and its associated services to 64 bit applications any time soon?
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Topics Solved: 175

Re: 64 Bit Jiwa  Topic is solved

Postby Mike.Sheen » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:47 pm

No - no plans.

We did explore the idea back before Jiwa 7 was first released and came to the conclusion because of 3rd party components (namely Crystal Reports) we'd have to provide two editions of Jiwa 7 - x86 and x64.

We decided to just go with x86 as it would happily install and run on x64 environments and the reverse would not. We were also conscious of the fact that x64 Office was not recommended by even Microsoft themselves, and if anyone wanted some interoperability between Jiwa and Office then we would most likely be doing that with x86 Office. All these factors led us to the decision to ship for the x86 platform.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 756

Re: 64 Bit Jiwa

Postby SBarnes » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:08 pm

Thanks Mike,

We are running into some clients getting out of memory exceptions when loading transaction on large debtors, hence the question.

Could it not be possible to provide a 64 bit client and a 32 bit client that would install the appropriate run time for Crystal as I know other applications that do this?
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Postby Mike.Sheen » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:22 pm

SBarnes wrote:Could it not be possible to provide a 64 bit client and a 32 bit client that would install the appropriate run time for Crystal as I know other applications that do this?

Of course it would be possible, and that's the conclusion we came to 5 years ago before we initially released version 7 - that if we wanted an x64 application we'd need separate installation packages... but we'd have to invest the effort to do that.

It's a simple concept but the reality is it increases the effort to produce a release and it also adds another dimension to our support matrix - so we were not prepared to put in all that effort when we knew that at that time x86 would not only be adequate but actually preferred by most of our customers.

I'd estimate we'd need at least 40 to 120 hours of effort to get to the point where we are producing x64 and x86 builds and installations, and it would add at least a few hours onto the effort per release.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 756

Postby SBarnes » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:26 pm

Hi Mike

Thanks for the explanation you've given about wanting to avoid the extra effort.

Have you seen the out of memory exception issue before and can you recommend anything?

As the only thing I've been able to suggest is don't open multiple debtor screens and the ageing of transactions and only showing the aged transactions if necessary.
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Postby Scott.Pearce » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:46 pm

How is the user hitting this issue?

Why would they have so many transactions appearing in a grid that an out-of-memory error occurs? Have they failed to age transactions appropriately? Are they erroneously viewing aged transactions? Perhaps we could create a plugin to implement a business rule - "only the admin user can view un-aged transactions".
Scott Pearce
Senior Analyst/Programmer
Jiwa Financials
Scott.Pearce
Senpai
Senpai

Topics Solved: 221

Postby SBarnes » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:09 pm

Not fully sure but the exception is being thrown when an object is getting created as the dialog say .ctor as the module.

The client is running on Terminal server so I've also suggested they check the user memory quota first as if its been set low by their IT department it could cause an issue.
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Return to Technical and or Programming