Reserving Stock on Imports and Local Goods  Topic is solved

Discussions relating to plugin development, and the Jiwa API.

Reserving Stock on Imports and Local Goods

Postby SBarnes » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:50 am

If I need to reserve stock on a shipment book in and on a normal receival of stock what would be the best way to do it?

I have considered doing a warehouse transfer on the save end of the relevant business object after calculating the necessary stock from back orders but my real question I suppose is what will happen with regards to the apportioning of costs and how this affects COGs?
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Topics Solved: 175

Re: Reserving Stock on Imports and Local Goods  Topic is solved

Postby Mike.Sheen » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:08 am

Any stock which is no longer present (transferred to another warehouse / sold / whatever) and then import costs are applied will result in the costs being applied to the Cost Of Goods Variance account instead of adjusting the inventory value account.

Ideally you probably want to leave the stock there, and anything else wanting stock to omit that stock for selection. That's not practical to implement, however as there are many places you'd have to touch to intercept the stock selection because we don't have a single, unified way of selecting / taking stock.

Personally, I'd like to re-do aspects of our stock system to allow reservations of stock - stock comes in, and anything wanting stock to indicate it wants x quantity of a product, but not actually take the stock until a picking phase - that way things would make more sense than our current method of reservation being actually reducing the stock quantity which is silly because you don't know always which stock quantities you are going to take, you just know you want to put aside a quantity.

Having said that, I still have not answered your question - right now I don't have a good answer, the best I can give is my first suggestion which might be - as I said - impractical to implement.

You should perhaps ask the question of our crack support team - but not in forums because they don't engage here in forums - lodge a request on our helpdesk.

Mike
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 756

Re: Reserving Stock on Imports and Local Goods

Postby SBarnes » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:18 am

Thanks Mike,

I suspected there wasn't an easy answer.

From a programming perspective for your reserved stock idea, it would be good if there was a possible way to hook into the stock allocation to orders where an event or lambda function would allow some sort of custom code to fire in terms of determining if the stock could be allocated.

Is this possible without reinventing the wheel through out the system before I go lodging an enhancement request?
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Topics Solved: 175

Return to Technical and or Programming