Stand Alone Application with Crystal Reports  Topic is solved

Discussions relating to plugin development, and the Jiwa API.

Stand Alone Application with Crystal Reports

Postby SBarnes » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:48 pm

I am trying to use Jiwa from a stand alone application and then run a Crystal Report to produce a pdf, when the code attempts to load the report Crystal is throwing an exception to do with not finding crpe32.dll, I have noticed that in the Jiwa directory there is a program files directory with a structure and Crystal DLLs is that because Jiwa is using some sort of application assembly resolver to ensure that crystal will works?
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Topics Solved: 175

Re: Stand Alone Application with Crystal Reports

Postby Mike.Sheen » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:25 pm

SBarnes wrote: is that because Jiwa is using some sort of application assembly resolver to ensure that crystal will works?

No, we don't use a custom assembly resolver in order to locate the Crystal assemblies - our custom resolver is only there for plugin assemblies to be able to locate Jiwa assemblies (as plugins are loaded from the ProgramData folder).

We just use the Crystal installation MSI package in our own installer, which installs Crystal to the GAC and our application references the assemblies in the GAC. The Crystal MSI adds registry entries which are essential for Crystal to work - you cannot just copy Crystal assemblies - and that's the reason why we had to remove support for Azure App Service hosting the Jiwa REST API - even loading a Crystal assembly will fail if those registry entries are not present.

I don't know why there are Crystal assemblies in the Jiwa directory - that could be a mistake... I've checked and we definitely use the GAC assemblies and copy local is false for those references to Crystal assemblies.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 756

Postby SBarnes » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:34 pm

What version of Crystal is Jiwa on at present, I am thinking it could be the vs version against runtime that is causing the problem?
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Postby Scott.Pearce » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:42 pm

SP22 (assembly version 13.0.22.2668)
Scott Pearce
Senior Analyst/Programmer
Jiwa Financials
Scott.Pearce
Senpai
Senpai

Topics Solved: 221

Postby SBarnes » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:46 pm

Thanks Scott that might be the problem I pit down SP27 and the run times related to that, which might be where the issue is coming from.
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Postby Mike.Sheen » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:50 pm

Scott.Pearce wrote:SP22 (assembly version 13.0.22.2668)

That would be for Jiwa 07.02.01, yes?

The version of Crystal may change from release to release of Jiwa - we generally avoid changing the versions of 3rd party components when possible, but we do change some from time to time - for instance Jiwa 07.00.175.00 has an older Crystal SP deployed with it (SP 16 I think) - so knowing the Jiwa version being targeted is useful to know when asking about what versions of Crystal are deployed.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Postby SBarnes » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:06 pm

Its the latest and greatest, no point in doing development against and older versions if it's possible to avoid it so we try and get people to upgrade as part of the process.
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Re: Stand Alone Application with Crystal Reports  Topic is solved

Postby SBarnes » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:35 pm

Basically to solve this involves removing everything including Jiwa and then making sure the versions of everything match i.e. you need the correct version of Crystal for visual studio to go with the runtime that Jiwa is using.

It would be handy therefore if the release notes for a version of Jiwa mentioned what the Crystal runtime is if they already don't.

The following link is also useful https://www.tektutorialshub.com/crystal ... ual-studio
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Postby Mike.Sheen » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:07 pm

SBarnes wrote:It would be handy therefore if the release notes for a version of Jiwa mentioned what the Crystal runtime is if they already don't.

I guess it isn't in an obvious place, but we do mention that in this docs article.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Postby SBarnes » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:25 pm

Mike.Sheen wrote:
I guess it isn't in an obvious place, but we do mention that in this docs article.

Obvious no, helpful yes, I have to say it's clearer than what the software vendor for Crystal Reports provides.
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Next

Return to Technical and or Programming