Date formatting  Topic is solved

Discussions relating to plugin development, and the Jiwa API.

Date formatting

Postby Ernst » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:16 pm

Under JIWA721...

Am having trouble with dates on SO_history Custom fields. Some dates are dd/mm/yyyy whole others are YYYY-MM-DDT00:00:00

Can I load something into my FormatCell to get all dates into dd/mm/yyyy layout.?

Public Sub FormatCell(ByVal BusinessLogicHost As JiwaApplication.IJiwaBusinessLogic, ByVal GridObject As JiwaApplication.Controls.JiwaGrid, ByVal FormObject As JiwaApplication.IJiwaForm, ByVal Col As Integer, ByVal Row As Integer, ByVal HostObject As JiwaApplication.IJiwaCustomFieldValues, ByVal CustomField As JiwaApplication.CustomFields.CustomField, ByVal CustomFieldValue As JiwaApplication.CustomFields.CustomFieldValue) Implements JiwaApplication.IJiwaCustomFieldPlugin.FormatCell

If CustomField.PluginCustomField.Name = "DateSent" Then
DirectCast(GridObject.ActiveSheet.Cells(Row, Col).CellType, FarPoint.Win.Spread.CellType.DateTimeCellType).Shortdateformat = "dd/MM/yyyy"
End If
Ernst
Kohai
Kohai

Topics Solved: 12

Re: Date formatting

Postby pricerc » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:39 pm

I'd parse them into dates and back out again.

.NET has DateTime.TryParse and TryParseExact; the latter IIRC allows you to specify a range of valid formats.

Of course the YYYY-MM-DDT00:00:00 format is the 'canonical' date format, and is probably a better format for storing in the database than the ambiguous dd/MM/yyyy... but that's a different topic.
/Ryan

ERP Consultant,
Advanced ERP Limited, NZ
https://aerp.co.nz
pricerc
Senpai
Senpai

Topics Solved: 20

Postby Ernst » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:31 pm

Ive used JiwaApplication.Manager.Instance.SysDateTime.ToString("yyyy-MM-dd") type format to get it into the correct format. By JIWA converts it back to YYYY-MM_DD, when saving, so that did help.

So ideally need the plugin to specify the correct format to save.
Ernst
Kohai
Kohai

Postby Mike.Sheen » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:12 pm

Are you using SR1 or later of 07.02.01, Ernst?

Because we fixed some stuff in SR1 specifically related to custom fields and date formats - see DEV-7783
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 756

Postby Ernst » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:35 am

Hi Mike,

We have the latest 7.02.01 with sr4 installed. Is their a way we can force the dd/mm/yyyy format via the plugin?
Ernst
Kohai
Kohai

Postby Mike.Sheen » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:49 am

The easiest way is to make sure your regional date format in Windows is set how you want it - because that is what we use out-of-the-box.

The values are stored in ISO 8601 format (yyyy-MM-ddTHH:mm:ss) - but that's not how it is displayed or captured.

I can spend some time looking into how you could customise the format - but if you have the Windows settings set right you shouldn't need this.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Postby Ernst » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:30 am

We have the regional date setting in dd/mm/yyyy format, so it display on screen OK.

But we send the date on an EDI file, and the customers is getting confused as some dates are the one format, and some the the other.

So was hoping we could just store the date in dd/mm/yyyy format, as per prior JIWA versions, so all the dates would be stored the same.

Else we would need to adjust the Courier interface to also store in ISO format, and then adjust the EDI, to convert from ISO back to dd/mm/yyyy format for customer..;)
Ernst
Kohai
Kohai

Re: Date formatting  Topic is solved

Postby Mike.Sheen » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:59 am

Ernst wrote:So was hoping we could just store the date in dd/mm/yyyy format, as per prior JIWA versions, so all the dates would be stored the same.

Trust me - you do not want to do that. If dates are to be stored as text, you really need to use an unambiguous format like ISO 8601's yyyy-mm-dd format.

Ernst wrote:Else we would need to adjust the Courier interface to also store in ISO format, and then adjust the EDI, to convert from ISO back to dd/mm/yyyy format for customer..;)

That's going to be the best way to keep your dates future-proof. Anyone doing anything with a date stored as text will be able to deal with ISO 8601 date formats.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Return to Technical and or Programming