Credit Card Processing

Discussions relating to plugin development, and the Jiwa API.

Credit Card Processing

Postby pricerc » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:09 pm

So a customer's current credit card payment processing provider is pulling the pin on the service in a few months, so they need a new solution.

Before I embark on the exercise of scoping out a replacement (probably Windcave), I thought I'd ask here if anyone has an already functional solution that could be re-used?

The one caveat being that they need to be able to store authorisation keys against a customer for recurring transactions.

I haven't yet figured out if the 'standard' Paypal plugin may be a viable option - I decided to ask this question before spending any time on it.
/Ryan

ERP Consultant,
Advanced ERP Limited, NZ
https://aerp.co.nz
pricerc
Senpai
Senpai

Topics Solved: 20

Re: Credit Card Processing

Postby Mike.Sheen » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:55 pm

In the absence of any other replies, I guess the answer is no.

I've certainly no been exposed to any others besides the PayPal one we ship with - and that would make a decent starting point for any other provider you chose to use - I can't imagine it would be much different with Windcave or any others.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 757

Postby pricerc » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:30 am

Mike.Sheen wrote:In the absence of any other replies, I guess the answer is no.

I've certainly no been exposed to any others besides the PayPal one we ship with - and that would make a decent starting point for any other provider you chose to use - I can't imagine it would be much different with Windcave or any others.

I also have their existing one to work off.

It's more that the thought of writing yet another payment 'proxy' makes me want to go a lie down and/or visit the drinks cabinet.

Windcave are moving to a new JSON-based REST API, which at one level should be easier, but it also means I can't reuse any of the work I did for integrating with their EFTPOS solution which is XML-based, and shares some features with their previous-generation payments solution.
/Ryan

ERP Consultant,
Advanced ERP Limited, NZ
pricerc
Senpai
Senpai

Postby pricerc » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:14 pm

As it turns out, Windcave will no longer support 'Server-Side' processing, due to PCI-compliance concerns.

So the customer will be using PayPal, although I'm making a few UI adjustments to better match their current experience.

I see that the Paypal API is now open-source, and the latest versions support the newer security protocols that Windcave can't support with 'server-side' processing.

I was also investigating Swipe, which seems to have a friendlier API, and is cheaper.
/Ryan

ERP Consultant,
Advanced ERP Limited, NZ
pricerc
Senpai
Senpai

Postby SBarnes » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:43 am

Hi Ryan,

I've played around with Stripe with Jiwa without any problems, it's fairly easy to use, in fact I built a plugin that used the Stripe API when a sales order was processed to create a corresponding Stripe invoice and then put a link to it in a custom field so that you could embed as "Click here to pay" link in a pdf of the invoice.

Take a look at https://github.com/stripe/stripe-dotnet
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Topics Solved: 175

Postby pricerc » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:05 am

Yeah, I've already downloaded that.

I've been battling with testing PayPal today (with the Jiwa sample Plugin) - I don't know if it's me or PayPal, but the documentation on getting started isn't working for me. I suspect some fields on some forms have had their names changed but nobody's bothered to update the documentation.

And then I figured that maybe I need to upgrade my PayPal account to a business account (not sure why it isn't in the first place), so I click on the 'Upgrade to Business Account' button. Second question in the 'upgrade wizard' is "Enter your email address".... I'm trying to 'upgrade' an existing account, but it's asking for an email address. And it doesn't let you use the same one, because it's an existing personal account... that I'm trying to upgrade to a business account.... AAAARGGHHH.

Nevertheless, Stripe seem to be more 'developer-friendly' from what I can see, the documentation seems less cluttered. That could just be because they are much younger and so don't have as much baggage.
/Ryan

ERP Consultant,
Advanced ERP Limited, NZ
pricerc
Senpai
Senpai

Postby SBarnes » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:10 am

Yeah, I've played with PayPal, it must be a Business account.
Stripe has a lot more features as well.
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Topics Solved: 175

Postby pricerc » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:45 am

Have PayPal done a Xero and stopped new access to the now 'legacy' API used by the plugin?

After having my 'business' account deleted by PayPal because it stopped working, and re-creating it, I am back to trying to process payments using PayPal.

Puzzled by how an unmodified version of the Plugin also isn't working, I started re-reading the instructions while waiting for a response from PayPal.

https://developer.paypal.com/api/nvp-so ... ion-guide/

I eventually noticed this bit:
a) Legacy Payflow Link merchants see the following in the Service Summary box in PayPal Manager:
PFL.png
PayFlow "Legacy"
PFL.png (2.15 KiB) Viewed 456 times

If you are a legacy Payflow Link merchant, do not use this guide; instead, use the Payflow Link User's Guide.

b) New Payflow Link merchants see the following in the Service Summary box in PayPal Manager:
PFL-new.png
PayFlow "New"
PFL-new.png (2.94 KiB) Viewed 456 times

If PayPal Payments Advanced is also listed, you are not a Payflow Link customer.

Use this guide if you are a new Payflow Link merchant who uses the Secure Token or API.

I seem to have the "New" version. Does this mean the existing plugin won't work?
/Ryan

ERP Consultant,
Advanced ERP Limited, NZ
pricerc
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Mike.Sheen » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:58 am

pricerc wrote:Have PayPal done a Xero and stopped new access to the now 'legacy' API used by the plugin?

How is Xero related to this? Did they offer CC payment processing before? Or are you referring to the bank feeds... if you are we got that working about 2 weeks ago.

pricerc wrote:I seem to have the "New" version. Does this mean the existing plugin won't work?

Don't know - if you can't get it working, create a helpdesk ticket and we'll go through the motions and see if we can get it working, and perhaps explore alternatives.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 757

Postby pricerc » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:27 pm

Mike.Sheen wrote:
pricerc wrote:Have PayPal done a Xero and stopped new access to the now 'legacy' API used by the plugin?

How is Xero related to this? Did they offer CC payment processing before? Or are you referring to the bank feeds... if you are we got that working about 2 weeks ago.

I was just referring to the fact that Xero 'retired' their 'legacy' API for new customers. Sorry, probably a bit obtuse, but I remember them making me just as grumpy when I discovered it.

But good to here you have it working... I have a customer or two in mind for that.
/Ryan

ERP Consultant,
Advanced ERP Limited, NZ
pricerc
Senpai
Senpai

Next

Return to Technical and or Programming