Service Release extraction  Topic is solved

Discussions relating to plugin development, and the Jiwa API.

Service Release extraction

Postby SBarnes » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:37 pm

Is there a way to extract the files from a service release msp file?
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Topics Solved: 175

Re: Service Release extraction

Postby Mike.Sheen » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:41 am

SBarnes wrote:Is there a way to extract the files from a service release msp file?

MSP's don't actually contain files, just binary differences which are to be applied to existing files.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 756

Postby SBarnes » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:45 am

So that means there is no way of getting the REST API plugin out of the IIS zip file without applying the MSP, correct?
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Postby Mike.Sheen » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:48 am

SBarnes wrote:So that means there is no way of getting the REST API plugin out of the IIS zip file without applying the MSP, correct?

I'm not going to say there is no way, there might be but it's beyond my interest in finding out!

The known way is, as you say, install the msp and then you can get the patched REST API plugin from the JiwaAPI.zip IIS package file in the Jiwa installation folder. Or, if you're special enough, you can obtain it from our source repo.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Re: Service Release extraction  Topic is solved

Postby Scott.Pearce » Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:17 pm

Oddly enough, I had to do this today. Below is my process:

Extracting files from MSPs

When it comes to extracting files from MSPs, it works a bit differently than it would for MSIs. With an MSI file, all you need to do is use the 7zip file extractor, but MSP files depend on the base MSI installation packages.

Since MSP benefits from msiexec commands, we can use the administrative install parameter to say where to extract the content. However, we need to take into consideration the base MSI dependency. So, we need to perform three separate actions:

1. Extract the base MSI from Setup.exe.
Create folder "C:\FolderInWhichMSIWillBeExtracted". Open an administrative command prompt, CD to where Setup.exe is, and run the command:

Code: Select all
Setup.exe /extract "C:\FolderInWhichMSIWillBeExtracted\"

A bunch of files used to install Jiwa will now be in c:\FolderInWhichMSIWillBeExtracted including Setup.msi.

2. Extract the files from the base MSI.
CD to "C:\FolderInWhichMSIWillBeExtracted\" and then run the command:

Code: Select all
msiexec /a Setup.msi TARGETDIR="c:\FolderInWhichMSIWillBeExtracted\extracted" /qb

If prompted to reboot, choose no. The above command does not install Jiwa but will instead extract the contents of Setup.msi to a folder called c:\FolderInWhichMSIWillBeExtracted\extracted (the "extracted" sub-folder will be created if it doesn't already exist).

3. Patch the files extracted from the base MSI using the MSP
To do that, CD to where your msp file is, and then execute the following command line:

msiexec /p Jiwa7.2.1.0.SR15.msp /a "c:\FolderInWhichMSIWillBeExtracted\extracted\Setup.msi" /qb

If prompted to reboot, choose no. After you execute the last command, you can navigate to the c:\FolderInWhichMSIWillBeExtracted\extracted folder and get the patch files from there.

We currently use Advanced Installer to build our installation packages and I find their website full of good information. I pinched a few of the above steps from their blog post here. I also find their forums useful for installer-based questions.
Scott Pearce
Senior Analyst/Programmer
Jiwa Financials
Scott.Pearce
Senpai
Senpai

Topics Solved: 221

Postby SBarnes » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:01 pm

Thanks Scott worked a treat :D
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Postby pricerc » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:17 pm

Or export/copy the plugin from a machine with the MSP installed and load that into the target system?
/Ryan

ERP Consultant,
Advanced ERP Limited, NZ
https://aerp.co.nz
pricerc
Senpai
Senpai

Topics Solved: 20

Postby Mike.Sheen » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:54 am

pricerc wrote:Or export/copy the plugin from a machine with the MSP installed and load that into the target system?

That's the simple, obvious way - but it's not always convenient to install on a machine.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Postby SBarnes » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:56 am

And the whole point of the original question. :lol:
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan