Wireless card errors, enet cable OK  Topic is solved

Discussions relating to plugin development, and the Jiwa API.

Wireless card errors, enet cable OK

Postby DannyC » Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:46 pm

Had an odd issue issue just now and would be interesting to get peeps take on it.

User runs on a laptop. WIndows 11 Home (yeah, I know).
Connected to the office network via wifi.

Jiwa runs OK except running reports. Getting the JiwaReport logon so I installed the plugin from
https://jiwa.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ ... gon+Failed

Typically that is what sorts out the JiwaReports logon issue but not in this case.

Reading further down that link it suggests to test DNS by creating a Jiwa connection using IP address. So I did that but it wasn't even finding any databases & returned an error, something about JiwaLogin (can't recall now).
I was about to edit the HOSTS file but the user I was talking to decided "hey, let me plug in the ethernet cable coz we're on wifi right now."

Bingo, I could get a list of databases in the connections set up screen. Logged onto to Jiwa using the existing connection and yes - now the reports run without error. And dare I might say faster too (duh).

So bottom line is that the ethernet cable provides a fully OK DNS connection to the network but the wifi NIC on the laptop clearly has issues. I've not personally seen that before.
Plenty of other laptops at this company connect via wifi to same WAP.
DannyC
Senpai
Senpai

Topics Solved: 30

Re: Wireless card errors, enet cable OK

Postby SBarnes » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:46 pm

It may be a simple as one the following things but it definitely is a network configuration issue:

• What protocols are installed on each adaptor? (Compare these to what the SQL server has enabled)
  • What are the DNS settings on both adaptors?
  • What ip addresses are in use on both adaptors?

Usual diagnostics would suggest trying to ping the server as well with wifi enabled, it could also be firewall related on the server.
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Topics Solved: 175

Re: Wireless card errors, enet cable OK  Topic is solved

Postby Mike.Sheen » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:41 am

You can use the Sql Server Configuration Manager to check and change the protocols available.

run C:\Windows\SysWOW64\SQLServerManager16.msc (note it may be C:\Windows\SysWOW64\SQLServerManager15.msc or a lower version number depending on SQL server version).
SqlServerConfigurationManagerSQLNCL11Protocols.png

Make sure TCP/IP is enabled and disable Named Pipes for everything. Leave Shared Memory alone - that only applies to processes running on the same machine, the other 2 protocols TCP/IP and Named Pipes relate to network communication with the SQL Server.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 756

Return to Technical and or Programming