File Watcher BEGIN/ROLLBACK functionality  Topic is solved

Discussions relating to plugin development, and the Jiwa API.

File Watcher BEGIN/ROLLBACK functionality

Postby neil.interactit » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:10 am

Hi there,

I have a watcher with the following (pseudo)code ...
Code: Select all
    Private Sub ComCareSalesOrderImport(ByVal FileName As String)
        Dim salesOrder As JiwaSales.SalesOrder.SalesOrder = JiwaApplication.Manager.Instance.BusinessLogicFactory.CreateBusinessLogic(Of JiwaSales.SalesOrder.SalesOrder)(Nothing)
        '...
        Do While Not csvParser.EndOfData
            '...
            salesOrder.CreateNew(JiwaSales.SalesOrder.SalesOrder.NewSalesOrderTypes.e_NewSalesOrder, debtor.DebtorID)
            '...
            For Each txn In txns
                '...
                salesOrder.SalesOrderLines.AddInventoryItem(inventory.InventoryID, JiwaSales.SalesOrder.SalesOrderLineCollection.SalesOrderLineInventorySeedTypes.e_SalesOrderLineInventoryID, newKey)
                '...
            Next
            If salesOrder.SalesOrderLines.Count > 0 Then salesOrder.Save()
        Loop
    End Sub

The trouble is, if there is a failure due to either erroneous CSV data or because prerequisites haven't been entered (typically a debtor not yet created in Jiwa), then the import fails (with error reporting) AT THAT POINT, however all previous CSV lines have succeeded, leaving Jiwa partially updated by the batch. The client requirement is that on any failure the whole batch is to be ignored ... they will then remedy the error (create the debtor, etc) and drop the CSV in again. So I need some sort of BEGIN/ROLLBACK functionality.

I am considering the following ...
    Private Sub ComCareSalesOrderImport(ByVal FileName As String)
        Dim salesOrders = New List(Of JiwaSales.SalesOrder.SalesOrder)
        '...
        Do While Not csvParser.EndOfData
            Dim salesOrder As JiwaSales.SalesOrder.SalesOrder = JiwaApplication.Manager.Instance.BusinessLogicFactory.CreateBusinessLogic(Of JiwaSales.SalesOrder.SalesOrder)(Nothing)
            '...
            salesOrder.CreateNew(JiwaSales.SalesOrder.SalesOrder.NewSalesOrderTypes.e_NewSalesOrder, debtor.DebtorID)
            '...
            For Each txn In txns
                '...
                salesOrder.SalesOrderLines.AddInventoryItem(inventory.InventoryID, JiwaSales.SalesOrder.SalesOrderLineCollection.SalesOrderLineInventorySeedTypes.e_SalesOrderLineInventoryID, newKey)
                '...
            Next
            If salesOrder.SalesOrderLines.Count > 0 Then salesOrders.Add(salesOrder)
        Loop
        For Each salesOrder As JiwaSales.SalesOrder.SalesOrder In salesOrders
            salesOrder.Save()
        Next
    End Sub

This will (well, should) work - as the error handling will gracefully exit (with reporting) before any .Save()s. Is this the best approach, or is there built in functionality for this that I am missing (or simply a better approach)?

Cheers,
Neil
neil.interactit
Kohai
Kohai

Topics Solved: 6

Re: File Watcher BEGIN/ROLLBACK functionality  Topic is solved

Postby Mike.Sheen » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:28 pm

Hi Neil,

If you start a new transaction before the batch, the sales order (and everything else) will use your started transaction automatically and then you just catch any exceptions and then perform a rollback - or if no exceptions enountered you do a commit.

We follow this pattern in all of our SQL updates in our business logic :

Dim weStartedTransaction As Boolean

With JiwaApplication.Manager.Instance.Database
   Try
      If .SQLTransaction Is Nothing Then
         ' flag that we created the transaction, so we know if we should be the ones to .commit or .rollback later.
         .BeginNewTransaction()
         weStartedTransaction = True
      End If

... Do some stuff here

If weStartedTransaction Then
         .Commit()
      End If

Catch ex As Exception      
      If weStartedTransaction AndAlso Not JiwaApplication.Manager.Instance.Database.SQLTransaction Is Nothing AndAlso Not JiwaApplication.Manager.Instance.Database.SQLTransaction.Connection Is Nothing Then
         JiwaApplication.Manager.Instance.Database.SQLTransaction.Rollback()
         JiwaApplication.Manager.Instance.Database.SQLTransaction.Dispose()
         JiwaApplication.Manager.Instance.Database.SQLTransaction = Nothing
      End If
      Throw ' Only need to throw if you want to signal to the caller there was a problem, or rather than throw you can deal with the exception here
   End Try
End With

Mike
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 756

Re: File Watcher BEGIN/ROLLBACK functionality

Postby neil.interactit » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:14 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks! Works a treat. I refactored slightly with a touch of IOC so that I could use this approach for all the watchers without repeating the .SQLTransaction code.

Public Delegate Sub FileImportDelegate(FileName As String)

Private Shared Sub WithRollback(DoFileImport As FileImportDelegate, ByVal FileName As String)
        Dim weStartedTransaction As Boolean
        With JiwaApplication.Manager.Instance.Database
            Try
                If .SQLTransaction Is Nothing Then
                    ' flag that we created the transaction, so we know if we should be the ones to .commit or .rollback later.
                    .BeginNewTransaction()
                    weStartedTransaction = True
                End If

DoFileImport(FileName)

If weStartedTransaction Then
                    .Commit()
                End If

Catch ex As System.Exception
                If weStartedTransaction AndAlso Not JiwaApplication.Manager.Instance.Database.SQLTransaction Is Nothing AndAlso Not JiwaApplication.Manager.Instance.Database.SQLTransaction.Connection Is Nothing Then
                    JiwaApplication.Manager.Instance.Database.SQLTransaction.Rollback()
                    JiwaApplication.Manager.Instance.Database.SQLTransaction.Dispose()
                    JiwaApplication.Manager.Instance.Database.SQLTransaction = Nothing
                End If
                Throw ' Only need to throw if you want to signal to the caller there was a problem, or rather than throw you can deal with the exception here
            End Try
        End With
    End Sub

And now I can leave the actual watcher code unchanged, and simply update the call from:
AddHandler ComCareSalesOrderImportWatcher.FileImport, AddressOf ComCareSalesOrderImport

to:
AddHandler ComCareSalesOrderImportWatcher.FileImport, Sub(FileName As String) WithRollback(AddressOf ComCareSalesOrderImport, FileName)

Beautiful! Thanks again.
Neil.
neil.interactit
Kohai
Kohai

Topics Solved: 6

Re: File Watcher BEGIN/ROLLBACK functionality

Postby Mike.Sheen » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:09 pm

neil.interactit wrote:Hi Mike,
Thanks! Works a treat.
Beautiful! Thanks again.
Neil.

Hi Neil,

I'm glad to have helped, and I'm even more glad our efforts in designing the framework of Jiwa are now being utilised for producing scalable, robust solutions!.

Validation is a sweet reward indeed :)

Mike
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 756

Return to Technical and or Programming