What is your preferred language for plugin development?

Discussions relating to plugin development, and the Jiwa API.

What is your preferred language for plugin development?

C#
50%
VB.NET
50%

Total votes : 20

Re: What is your preferred language for plugin development?

Postby pricerc » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:43 am

SBarnes wrote:In my view arguing one in favour of the other is not a worthwhile thing to to spend time doing as one of the greatest issues in either is the skill set of the developer doing the job and just getting the job done.

Indeed. Although I don't see this as an argument. Just a friendly discussion on the pros and cons of different ways of doing things :)

As I said, I work with both and I don't have a "favourite", I pick which one to use based on the project at hand. In my current project, I'm working with both. And if I grab a standard Jiwa 'sample' plugin to work from, I'll usually stick with whatever language its already in.

People must work with what they are comfortable with. Because we are not all the same, and have different ways of thinking and viewing the world. This is neither good nor bad, just different.

e.g. your example of: "if(!condition)" vs "if(condition == false)"

While I get your argument that it may be easy to miss the !, but I actually find that "if(condition == false)" just looks wrong, and distracting, and not at all clearer.

Perhaps it comes from my early training in Pascal, which also uses a 'Not', like VB.
/Ryan

ERP Consultant,
Advanced ERP Limited, NZ
https://aerp.co.nz
pricerc
Senpai
Senpai

Topics Solved: 20

Postby Mike.Sheen » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:59 am

pricerc wrote: but I actually find that "if(condition == false)" just looks wrong

Old school C coders would insist on that being "if(false == condition)". Prevents accidental assignments.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 756

Postby SBarnes » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:13 pm

Actually if(condition = false) won't compile.

Likewise I don't necessarily believe in terms of languages there is enough from the technical point of view to totally tip the scales in favour of c# or vb, like I said previously my preference towards c# is from having done a lot of web based work and go with what you know.

This is further supported by given some recent downtime due to lock downs where I've found time to explore .net core as opposed to the traditional .net framework and look at technologies such Blazor and Maui, Microsoft's push is more towards c# in this area which would put c# ahead of vb but more from a commercial/career perspective in my view than anything else but as we all know technologies don't change on a dime so vb and even the .net framework aren't going to go anywhere any time soon.
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Topics Solved: 175

Previous

Return to Technical and or Programming