What is your preferred language for plugin development?

Discussions relating to plugin development, and the Jiwa API.

What is your preferred language for plugin development?

C#
8
44%
VB.NET
10
56%
 
Total votes : 18

Re: What is your preferred language for plugin development?

Postby SBarnes » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:14 am

Hi Mike,

I am aware of Swagger given its popularity though I have not used it personally in a project, I had assumed that you would be using Asp.net Web API, from this can I ask the following:

1. Is the api going to allow for any type of pluggable interface into the pipeline for such things as media formatters (to support other formats besides json and xml), security or error handling etc. ?
2. What over all security will be supported and will this reside within Jiwa itself and will it support SSL?
3. Will the api require IIS or be self hosted?
Regards
Stuart Barnes
stuart@attkey.com.au
SBarnes
Jiwa Sensei
Jiwa Sensei
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:27 pm
Topics Solved: 71

Re: What is your preferred language for plugin development?

Postby Mike.Sheen » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:43 am

Hi Stuart,

SBarnes wrote:1. Is the api going to allow for any type of pluggable interface into the pipeline for such things as media formatters (to support other formats besides json and xml), security or error handling etc. ?

I hadn't planned on doing so, but we're open to such suggestions.
SBarnes wrote:2. What over all security will be supported and will this reside within Jiwa itself and will it support SSL?

Security will be implemented by API keys which will have an ACL type set of permissions controlling what the API key can access. And yes, SSL is going to be supported.
SBarnes wrote:3. Will the api require IIS or be self hosted?

It will require IIS. It won't require IIS, but that will be an option.

Mike
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
User avatar
Mike.Sheen
Jiwa Shihan
Jiwa Shihan
 
Posts: 1650
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:12 am
Location: North Sydney
Topics Solved: 522

Re: What is your preferred language for plugin development?

Postby Mike.Sheen » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:57 pm

We've got a proof-of-concept API running using ServiceStack at api.jiwa.com.au. This is all in flux and will change over time.

There are many issues we need to address, so don't build anything against this yet. We've got this running as an Azure App Service, and it connects to our Azure SQL database for a JiwaDemo database.

To use it you need to first authenticate via a HTTP GET request :https://api.jiwa.com.au/swagger-ui/#!/auth/Authenticate_Get (you can just use a web browser)

Then you can GET or POST from the available methods - such as https://api.jiwa.com.au/swagger-ui/#!/S ... GETRequest - this will read a sales order from the database and return it in the format specified in the accept header, or you can override that and return in XML or CSV.

We're still experimenting and trying to work out what we need to do, but I just wanted to show we're progressing (albeit slowly).

Mike
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
User avatar
Mike.Sheen
Jiwa Shihan
Jiwa Shihan
 
Posts: 1650
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:12 am
Location: North Sydney
Topics Solved: 522

Re: What is your preferred language for plugin development?

Postby pricerc » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:51 am

Since Mike was complaining (viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1114) about the lack of activity in this thread...

Since Microsoft have open-sourced the C# and VB compilers, there is opportunity for anyone to have input into the development of the languages. The respective GitHub urls are:

https://github.com/dotnet/csharplang/ for C#

and

https://github.com/dotnet/vblang for VB

They make for interesting reading, and they accept suggestions from anyone.
/Ryan

ERP Consultant,
Advanced ERP Limited, NZ
User avatar
pricerc
Jiwa Kohai
Jiwa Kohai
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:22 pm
Location: Auckland, NZ
Topics Solved: 6

Re: What is your preferred language for plugin development?

Postby Mike.Sheen » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:09 pm

pricerc wrote:Since Mike was complaining (viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1114) about the lack of activity in this thread...

Since Microsoft have open-sourced the C# and VB compilers, there is opportunity for anyone to have input into the development of the languages. The respective GitHub urls are:

https://github.com/dotnet/csharplang/ for C#

and

https://github.com/dotnet/vblang for VB

They make for interesting reading, and they accept suggestions from anyone.


I was actually referring to the Announcement Read Before Posting which I now realise the post that brought you here incorrectly mentioned a sticky topic which is probably why you thought it was this topic.
We don't actually know who votes on polls or how they vote - so we ask people to specify in their post which language (and Jiwa version amongst other details) so we can best answer their question - as despite preference of language you might be simply trying to modify some code not in the preferred language, so it makes sense for that to be mentioned on a case by case basis.

Anyway, on the topic of the Microsoft Github projects - those VB enthusiasts out there might want to indicate their desire for VB in ASP.Net Core in this Github issue: Visual Basic .NET (VB.NET) support in ASP.NET Core #2738.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
User avatar
Mike.Sheen
Jiwa Shihan
Jiwa Shihan
 
Posts: 1650
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:12 am
Location: North Sydney
Topics Solved: 522

Re: What is your preferred language for plugin development?

Postby pricerc » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:23 pm

I see a total of 17 votes, 9 for VB and 8 for C#.

Since one of those VB votes is mine, and I'm actually on the fence, that still leaves you at 50/50 :)
/Ryan

ERP Consultant,
Advanced ERP Limited, NZ
User avatar
pricerc
Jiwa Kohai
Jiwa Kohai
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:22 pm
Location: Auckland, NZ
Topics Solved: 6

Re: What is your preferred language for plugin development?

Postby SBarnes » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:32 pm

To be honest I've never really understood this argument c# vs vb.net, if either will get the job done people should work with what they are comfortable with, it's a bit like the British Brexit no clear answer and just so long as the compromise is not Mike's suggestion from earlier today :lol: as in that case I go with Jexit with no deal

The only reason I switched from vb.net was the amount of code samples that are out there and the fact the Microsoft went c# on .Net core first.

But Mike's little joke did highlight one important functionality that would be helpful it would be good if we could translate plugins from Vb.net to c# and vice versa easily may be that would end the argument.
Regards
Stuart Barnes
stuart@attkey.com.au
SBarnes
Jiwa Sensei
Jiwa Sensei
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:27 pm
Topics Solved: 71

Re: What is your preferred language for plugin development?

Postby pricerc » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:40 pm

SBarnes wrote:To be honest I've never really understood this argument c# vs vb.net, if either will get the job done people should work with what they are comfortable with, it's a bit like the British Brexit no clear answer and just so long as the compromise is not Mike's suggestion from earlier today :lol: as in that case I go with Jexit with no deal

The only reason I switched from vb.net was the amount of code samples that are out there and the fact the Microsoft went c# on .Net core first.

But Mike's little joke did highlight one important functionality that would be helpful it would be good if we could translate plugins from Vb.net to c# and vice versa easily may be that would end the argument.


Actually, for the scale of code usually involved in the discussions here; a method here, a method there, the online conversion tools are pretty good. There are better commercial ones too, but I'm too cheap :P. I think the best ones actually compile and then decompile into the target language.

They only break down if someone's using some really funky edge case on the source language.
/Ryan

ERP Consultant,
Advanced ERP Limited, NZ
User avatar
pricerc
Jiwa Kohai
Jiwa Kohai
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:22 pm
Location: Auckland, NZ
Topics Solved: 6

Previous

Return to Technical / Programming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron