Large Transaction Mode Revisited.

Discussions relating to plugin development, and the Jiwa API.

Large Transaction Mode Revisited.

Postby SBarnes » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:29 am

Hi Mike,

A while ago I made a post about what had been Large Transaction Mode in 6.5.13 that was here https://forums.jiwa.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=819 and I have follow the advice you gave in terms improving SQL performance.

Unfortunately this hasn't helped much, so I was wondering how much you know about SQL's in memory features under SQL 2016 and if there is anything that can be done using SQL 2016 that might help improve performance further as this is a database with transaction in it going back to 2003 and the only other idea I have had is to try archiving some of the debtor transaction and sales data?
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Topics Solved: 175

Re: Large Transaction Mode Revisited.

Postby Mike.Sheen » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:56 am

SBarnes wrote:Hi Mike,

A while ago I made a post about what had been Large Transaction Mode in 6.5.13 that was here https://forums.jiwa.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=819 and I have follow the advice you gave in terms improving SQL performance.

Unfortunately this hasn't helped much, so I was wondering how much you know about SQL's in memory features under SQL 2016 and if there is anything that can be done using SQL 2016 that might help improve performance further as this is a database with transaction in it going back to 2003 and the only other idea I have had is to try archiving some of the debtor transaction and sales data?

Hi Stuart,

With a large number of rows, the bottleneck isn't the SQL Server, it's the grid control displaying all the rows of data. Paging (large transaction mode) would help with that, but you can't do that via plugin without some events being introduced by the forms for each grid display.

I've added improvement DEV-6356 to our backlog to consider how we'd manage paging on grids.

Mike
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 756

Postby Mike.Sheen » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:03 pm

I spent a few hours looking at this after discovering the VirtualMode of the Farpoint Spread no longer exists in the .NET version (it did in the COM version Jiwa 6 had), and it's not exactly simple - but it looks possible, with some changes to our code within our JiwaGrid control (which inherits from the Farpoint Spread control), and also changes in each form for each grid where this would be beneficial.

Until we can do that, I'll tackle trying this entirely as a plugin - the idea being you hide the existing grid (or tab) and add a custom tab to the form with a grid to act as a replacement - 'tis an interesting challenge ;)
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 756

Postby SBarnes » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks.

I am over users who think data should load in an instant regardless of the amount of processing that has to be done or the volume involved. :roll:
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Topics Solved: 175

Return to Technical and or Programming