POLL: Happy 10th Birthday - Migrate to Discourse?

Discussions relating to plugin development, and the Jiwa API.

Should we migrate the current phpBB forums to Discourse?

Yes
67%
No
No votes
Don't care
33%
I have another suggestion
No votes

Total votes : 9

POLL: Happy 10th Birthday - Migrate to Discourse?

Postby Mike.Sheen » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:09 pm

10 year anniversary

Tomorrow, 12 Feb 2018, will be our 10 year anniversary of these forums.

A lot has changed in 10 years, including forum / discussion software. The phpBB forums here are dated and have a growing number of issues that we need to address - no mobile friendly layout, security issues and a tired look to name but a few.

We think it is time for a change, and I've done some research and the Discourse platform looks to be a good replacement for these forums. If you are involved in other online communities, you may have found that Discourse it used a lot and has an ever growing presence.

If you haven't seen Discourse before, take a look at the Discourse platform - or take a look at the FAQ section of this post - you'll see a list of features we think are pretty cool.

Let us know in the poll if you think you'd prefer us to migrate these forums to that platform - or if you have an alternative in mind, reply with any suggestions.

Also, if you have any concerns or questions, just reply to this post.

We'll be able to migrate the existing posts, and from what I can tell even your profile information - including username and password will be retained (provided the password meets the security requirements - if not then you'll be prompted to perform a password reset when you first try to login). Of course, we'll test this migration first and even give you chance to preview the new platform with the migrated data before switching over, during our testing phase.

This has been posted here, in the Jiwa 7 / Technical Programming forum, as it is by far the most seen and used sub-forum.

FAQ

Q: What are the benefits to me - as a forum user - of moving to Discourse?
A:
  • A modern UI
  • Mobile Friendly (you can use your tablet or smartphone easily)
  • You can @mention people, and they'll get a notification. Users will also get a notification if anyone quotes them, PM's them, likes any of their posts, or replies to a thread they are watching
  • You can get browser notifications so you don't even have to keep checking the site.
  • Post a link to a photo, a video or a tweet and they'll automatically get embedded into the post
  • Group Messaging - Want to take something off the forum? You can! Just start a PM and add multiple recipients - add more even during the conversation
  • Automatic forum search when posting new threads - whenever anyone goes to post a new thread, the system carries out a search while they are typing and displays it prominently over the preview box
  • Intelligent quote system - Just highlight some text in someone's post and you'll get the option to 'Quote text'
  • Automatic code highlighting - Post some code enclosed in backticks at both start ends and the code gets highlighted. Post three backticks on a seperate line before and after the code block for blocks of code. Put the name of the langauge after the oppening ticks to specify a language (if you don't the system will try to guess the language)
  • Drafts of your posts are saved as you type - if you accidentally close your browser or your machine reboots half way through a post, it'll be there when you come back
  • The ability to cross reference other posts

Q: I have links (URLs) stored offline to useful forum posts - will they still work?
A: Not sure yet - but we plan on doing some URL rewrites to make any links to the old forums redirect to the correct post or topic in the new forums - we'll work on this in the testing phase.

Q: What will happen regarding the content of the current forums in terms of attachments etc, can this be migrated?
A: Yes - all attachments, images and code snippets will be migrated.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 757

Re: POLL: Happy 10th Birthday - Migrate to discourse?

Postby SBarnes » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:26 pm

Hi Mike,

What will happen regarding the content of the current forums in terms of attachments etc, can this be migrated?
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Topics Solved: 175

Re: POLL: Happy 10th Birthday - Migrate to discourse?

Postby Mike.Sheen » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:01 pm

SBarnes wrote:What will happen regarding the content of the current forums in terms of attachments etc, can this be migrated?

Hi Stuart,

Yes - all attachments, images and code snippets will be migrated.

As questions like yours arise, I'll add them to the FAQ section of the poll post.

Mile
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Re: POLL: Happy 10th Birthday - Migrate to Discourse?

Postby SBarnes » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:09 pm

Is there any ETA on when this would happen?
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Postby Mike.Sheen » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:09 pm

SBarnes wrote:Is there any ETA on when this would happen?

No ETA, but Real Soon (TM) :).

I spent some time last weekend deploying a Discourse docker instance (Discourse only runs in a docker container) on our Debian + Apache box which serves up forums, service, help, stats, webstore and docs - but it's not liking our Apache server acting as a proxy - after a few hours messing with it I ran out of time and left it to come back to it later. The Discourse resources all point toward documents which recommend using Nginx as the front-end proxy but in my mind It doesn't make a lot of sense to have both Nginx and Apache on the same host, so I'll probably end up adding a new machine to host the Discourse forums - which I haven't got around to yet - but I'm a bit stubborn and would prefer to coerce it to run under our Apache server, so I'll probably burn some more time trying to get that working first.

Then the task of migration of content needs to be looked at - which I thought should be simple enough, but then I found Discourse uses the Postgresql database, so the prospect of simply creating staging tables and running queries to migrate the MySQL data from the phpbb forums database took an arrow to the knee. Still possible, and there are tools to migrate from phpbb to Discourse, but we have some custom stuff in these phpbb forums (like the topic solved function) which are going to require some unsupported magic.

But first we'll be focusing on pushing out SR6 for 7.00.175 and then 7.01.01 - so unless future out-of-hours efforts yield any results, it may be another month or two before we've got the test Discourse site up.

To be honest whilst I like the functionality of Discourse - After learning the technical details of how it's built - I'm a bit put off. It's a Rails application running using Postgresql and the reason why they only provide a docker container is because "it's complicated" to configure and deploy - so a docker container was their way of abstracting the complications away - but it still seems complicated to me (seems not many people use Discourse with Apache). I really don't like complicated. Plus I don't need another database platform to worry about learning it's nuances for DR and maintenance related tasks. But, I'm hoping once I've got it working my reservations will fade away.

Mike
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Postby SBarnes » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:28 pm

Thanks Mike,

I was asking because the topic had gone quiet to be honest I would prefer to see 7.01.01 long before Discourse, nice to have should come after the real functionality.

I can appreciate the reluctance to want to learn new tools in this sort of case.
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Postby pricerc » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:49 pm

I don't have a strong opinion on this topic. But would make this observation: besides looking a little 'dated', the forums as they stand work pretty well at performing the task being asked of them.

Although I have found the search a little wanting at times.

If I was looking for improvements to the user experience on these forums, I'd really like to see some kind of integration with your Jira database, so that I don't have to look in both the forums and in Jira to find prior questions about the same subject.

Then, if you haven't already, if you're considering a move from phpBB, but aren't keen on Discourse, I'd start at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... m_software

:)
/Ryan

ERP Consultant,
Advanced ERP Limited, NZ
https://aerp.co.nz
pricerc
Senpai
Senpai

Topics Solved: 20

Return to Technical and or Programming