Auto JIWA License Update.  Topic is solved

Discussions relating to plugin development, and the Jiwa API.

Auto JIWA License Update.

Postby Ernst » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:31 am

Have just used one of these SOAP things to pass a JIWA Sales Order No to the web. I feel cleaned already...:)

Wouldnt it be great if when JIWA hit the 9 days to go on the license, it did a Soap call, and fetched the new License.. provided its paid up of course.

"I work in VB.net but only ever on web. I will explain how I use a SOAP service, I'm assuming its pretty similar in windows programming. And I'm assuming your using visual studio.
This is Visual studio 2017, earlier versions it was actually easier, they have buried it a bit in a push to make us use WCF.
I really like SOAP web services, once you have the references set up it works just like a class within the project.
It has a relatively high transport overhead and lacks the flexibility that other types of web services have for interacting with a bunch of different client platforms but .net to .net its great.

1. Right click the project in solution explorer.
2. Add > Service reference
3. Advanced (bottom left)
4. Add web reference bottom (bottom left)
5. Enter URL of service and give it a name
6. Now you should just be able to instantiate a reference to the service and use its methods as if it were part of your project
No need to write the xml and set up the request .net should take care of all that for you
eg the 2 lines below

Dim TrackingSv As New TrackingService.TrackingService <=== Named you Called it above.
Dim response as string = TrackingSv .UpdateOrderIDs(WebID, JIWAID , Verification)"
Ernst
Kohai
Kohai

Topics Solved: 12

Re: Auto JIWA License Update.

Postby Mike.Sheen » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:31 pm

Hi Ernst,

Now we've got the REST API, we can pretty easily put in the server side bits for serving licences - we just need to add a route or two, and add the logic within Jiwa to call our service to check for any available licences and download them and apply them (maybe even a plugin would make this call to obtain licences).

We wouldn't be using SOAP, however - but that's not really important.

There is some details we need to work out - like security - we need to provide a public endpoint and we need to make sure that whoever is asking for a licence is only allowed to get their own licences - so there's an identity aspect there - probably API Keys would be best suited for that - each customer is issued an API Key and we'll use that to authenticate their requests.

API Key authentication is already planned for 07.01.01.00 in DEV-6495 - once that is done we'll be in a position to perform automatic licence updates.

Mike
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 756

Re: Auto JIWA License Update.  Topic is solved

Postby Mike.Sheen » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:00 pm

I've also added DEV-6523 to build in the automatic licence acquisition.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 756

Re: Auto JIWA License Update.

Postby Ernst » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:04 pm

That would be great, and save everybody a lot of time.

Thanks for looking into it..
Ernst
Kohai
Kohai

Topics Solved: 12

Return to Technical and or Programming