Black list and White list IP addresses  Topic is solved

Discussions relating to the REST API of Jiwa 7.

Black list and White list IP addresses

Postby SBarnes » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:51 am

Is there a way of white listing and black listing ip addresses from connecting to the web api as I know the route /Staff/Current/List contains the remote IP addresses?
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Topics Solved: 175

Re: Black list and White list IP addresses

Postby Mike.Sheen » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:19 pm

Hi Stuart,

Not out of the box - we certainly could add that but I think the best approach for hardening the API would be to stand up a proxy in front of it and leverage the years of battle tested hardening that's gone into them - like Nginx.

This is the approach Microsoft has taken with the lightweight Kestrel HTTP server in ASP.NET Core - it's not trying to be anything but a lightweight HTTP server and the official guidance is to NOT front Kestrel to public internet facing traffic, but put a hardened proxy in front.

If you want a quick and dirty solution, a request filter could be added via plugin to look at a whitelist or blacklist and refuse requests based on that - I've not done this but I think it would be a fairly easy plugin to do.

Let me know if you need that instead of the recommended proxy option.

Mike
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 755

Re: Black list and White list IP addresses  Topic is solved

Postby SBarnes » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:45 pm

Thanks Mike,

to do the request filter option I believe there is enough information here https://forums.jiwa.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=976
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Topics Solved: 175

Re: Black list and White list IP addresses

Postby Mike.Sheen » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:00 pm

SBarnes wrote:Thanks Mike,

to do the request filter option I believe there is enough information here https://forums.jiwa.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=976

Thanks for linking that - I was all ready to re-invent the plugin I'd forgotten I'd previously done!
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 755

Return to REST API