SQL Server Setup

Support for Micosoft SQL Server in the context of Jiwa installations.

SQL Server Setup

Postby nathan.mcdonald » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:22 pm

I am finding that most Hardware Provders setup SQL on users servers the standard setup. This I have heard is not right and can cause speed issues later.

Does anybody have an SQL Server setup for Jiwa with the relevent settings to maximise the speed etc.

Thanks
Nath
nathan.mcdonald
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: SQL Server Setup

Postby Mike.Sheen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:16 pm

nathan.mcdonald wrote:This I have heard is not right and can cause speed issues later.

The only setting we recommend altering from default is to use mixed mode authentication. By default I think it's Windows Authentication only.

I certainly know for a fact that messing with the default collation and sort orders is going to cause you problems - these should be left alone.

The rest of the settings you should not have to alter.

EDIT : However, we are always open to suggestions from anyone who has other ideas! Please, do let us know your thoughts on this.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 755

Re: SQL Server Setup

Postby jiwameister » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:26 pm

Hi Everybody,

I think the only (maybe??) other thing that you should consider is the placement of the various SQL Server files..

If you have the right hardware setup (and as hinted elsewhere on this forum) the optimum setup would involve separating on to separate physical disks the application files and temp database, the jiwa database, and the transaction logs. This would require 3 separate disk systems (ie 3 x RAID arrays) and would be expensive.

If you have two disks (2 x RAID), I would probably separate the temp database and paging files from the jiwa database and transaction logs..
Glenn Lake
Managing Director
Lonicera Pty Ltd
http://www.lonicera.com.au
jiwameister
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to Microsoft SQL Server