General Ledger - Multi Company

Discussions relating to version the "old" version 7 of Jiwa

General Ledger - Multi Company

Postby David.Simmonds » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:28 pm

Ron Lake started this by asking this question:
Hi David
Not sure how much input you “really“ want on v7 rewrite
But:
The GL and the lack of ability to consolidate across multiple legal entities is one reason we are losing potential sales

I believe you should give serious consideration to adding some kind of flexibility to the GL structure.

To which I replied:
Ron,
Yes, too much input can blur the result.

Yes multiple GL’s and a Consolidation mechanism with an elimination system has got to be available.
I also am going to try for varied lengths of accounts, that is you don’t need to go the full number of segments if it is not relevant, e.g. Balance Sheet vs. P&L with all the divisions loaded
I’d also like to see the ability to rearrange the periods a bit more, for when companies change their year end dates.

What do you call “flexibility” to the GL Structure?

David

To which Ron Replied:

Hi David
By flexibility I am thinking that if a database can be used for multiple companies maybe
It would mean the account structure could be set that the transaction itself saved the entity / division it related to. Not sure if this is too big of a change to your old logic
If so then the ability to add “segments” easily would be good

As another issue the ability to be able to relate debtors / creditors stock to an entity if multiple entities / divisions would be good.
David.Simmonds
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: General Ledger - Multi Company

Postby David.Simmonds » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:41 pm

Ron,
The second question first. Yes I envisage the ability to have a Debtors Ledger connected to a General Ledger Division within acompany. This could help with the security model between warehouses/divisions where one division/warehouse doesn't want other warehouses/divisions to see what is happening in another area...

On the first part of your question. I know Mike has some significant ideas that he is thinking about doing for the GL. The GL is probably one area where we could/will make wholesale changes. Things like easy to change periods, a less rigid account structure, Multi Company won't happen without BIG changes being made. More to come on this one.
David.Simmonds
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Mike.Sheen » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:20 pm

David.Simmonds wrote:I know Mike has some significant ideas that he is thinking about doing for the GL. The GL is probably one area where we could/will make wholesale changes. Things like easy to change periods, a less rigid account structure, Multi Company won't happen without BIG changes being made. More to come on this one.

The ideas I have currently kicking around are :

1. GL Account Types - GL Accounts being assigned a type (eg: Inventory Control, Debtors Control, etc), and when attaching an account to, say an Inventory item, only Inventory Control Account types are selectable

2. Period Templates - The ability to define any manner of period structure, which is overlaid on the raw transactions based on date, to summarise transactions by the nominated period. Many period templates may be created, and when viewing or reporting, you can nominate which template structure you wish to have them represented with

3. Analysis codes - similar in concept to custom fields in other areas - but simpler. The hope is we will allow raw data structure changes to a "GL Analysis" table - you can add as many columns as you like which relate to an account or group of accounts. Using raw table structures is easier to report on than custom field type structures.
You'd also need to be able to nominate which documents (PO, SO, etc) the particular analysis codes need to be captured on.

Example : You create an analysis code named "Salesman". This applies only to the accounts of type "Inventory Sales Value". You also stipulate it is captured on sales order lines.

On the sales order form, a new column appears "Salesman". You can either let the user select the value, key the value or perhaps a Solution will automatically set the value based on some logic. When the sales order is posted, the captured "Salesman" value is pushed through to the appropriate field in the GL Transaction Analysis table (a table we are yet to build - but one that simply has the GLTransID and a bunch of columns - being the analysis columns).

In theory, this would mean the reporting of, say - commissions for salesman, would be quite a simple report.

4. Company partitioning - every table has a CompanyID column - users can switch between companies, which are logically separated, but in the same database.

Inter-company transactions would then have a high degree of integrity (eg: PO in company A results in a SO in company B, etc). Presently it's rather messy to do such transactions, as SQL transactions are limited to within the same database.

Inter-company eliminations would also be a special form/module which would facilitate the accounting practice of eliminations.

5. GL Chart / structure. As per David's comment - he has some ideas on how this would look - it has been explained to me a few times, but right this moment the details escape me - but I do plan on spicing this up as per David's spec.

6. Granular Period Locks - period locking (ie: not being able to post to a period) to be more granular - ie: you can specify which modules are able / not able to post to particular periods.

Right now, the GL isn't in our sights, but certainly will be soon enough. I know when I get to the detail of Transaction Sets and coding all that up, we won't be able to resist the temptation to work some magic on the GL :) - We'll certainly be posting a design document here on that also.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 755

Postby MibJiwa » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:46 am

Account Types & GST
One area that continues to cause havic is GST deducted inappropriately. e.g. Debtor refunds, Interest Payments, FX transactions, Interbank transfers

This could be rectified at source by flagging the GL accounts as GST/Non-GST and/or conjunction with transaction types and/or Exempt Debtor/Creditor
MibJiwa
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby David.Simmonds » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:14 am

Yes, Colin we need to do something on that so that in the Cash Book there is a default GST Rate, this will prevent many mistakes in the entry of Payments. Good Point Colin, thanks for that.
David
David.Simmonds
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Mike.Sheen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:05 pm

MibJiwa wrote:Account Types & GST
One area that continues to cause havic is GST deducted inappropriately. e.g. Debtor refunds, Interest Payments, FX transactions, Interbank transfers

This could be rectified at source by flagging the GL accounts as GST/Non-GST and/or conjunction with transaction types and/or Exempt Debtor/Creditor

I'm knee-deep in the GL right now, but I don't get how this relates to GL accounts.

A GL account should not have any relationship with GST. They're just GL Accounts - I think (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that the source document needs to be the decision maker as to what attracts GST, what doesn't and therefore whether or not to include a GST GL Account in the transaction set.

So, in the case of Cash Book payments / Receipts, surely this document is the decision maker as to what accounts are involved in the GL ? Perhaps when creating a CashBook document, the user nominates a "type" - of say Debtor refund, Interest Payment, FX transaction, Interbank transfer, and then it (the cash book document) would know when posting how the GST (if any) is to be handled ?
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 755

Return to Archived - Jiwa 7