Breakouts

Discussions relating to version the "old" version 7 of Jiwa

Breakouts

Postby SBarnes » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:50 am

One of the Best features I think Jiwa has is the ability to customise the system through the use of breakouts but two things that I think would be handy in nversion 7 would be

1. Some sort of documentation peferably in the show soemwhere in the header of the breakout that would explain the point at which the breakout is called etc.

2. Th ability to bedug the break out, which is not currently available, obviously this would need to be limited to the Admin user and only needs to be fairly basic.
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Topics Solved: 175

Re: Breakouts

Postby Mike.Sheen » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:06 pm

SBarnes wrote:One of the Best features I think Jiwa has is the ability to customise the system through the use of breakouts but two things that I think would be handy in nversion 7 would be

1. Some sort of documentation peferably in the show soemwhere in the header of the breakout that would explain the point at which the breakout is called etc.

2. Th ability to bedug the break out, which is not currently available, obviously this would need to be limited to the Admin user and only needs to be fairly basic.

1. Version 7 removes the concept of predefined "points" of where you can place code. We only have one point - the module load - there you need to add handlers to various events occurring within the user interface, business logic or controller objects. Probably even less intuitive than version 6, put much more powerful.

To answer the question, using generic documentation tools, you can extract the publicly accessible methods, properties and events along with the in-line XML documentation we provide within the code itself - so we will certainly be providing more comprehensive documentation with version 7.

2. Debugging version 7 will be a little more elegant than version six. (Yes, you can debug version 6 breakouts!). Version 7 is simply running .Net code, so you just need to do make a call to system.debugger and it invokes the registered debugger and starts tracing it.

In version six, it is pretty simple as well. There are some complexities depending on which version of visual studio you have installed. As long as you have VS 2003 or later installed, you can debug breakouts. Just put a deliberate error in your code (ie: I like to put "stop here"), and when the breakout is executed, windows will intercept the error and ask you if you want to debug. Answer yes, and the registered debugger (visual studio) will start, showing the breakout script and all you need to then do is set next statement over the "stop here" line and you can step through the breakout script, do watches, immediate window calls, etc.

You may need to create a jiwa.exe.config file and place it in the same folder as the jiwa.exe - the contents should be like this :
Code: Select all
<?xml version ="1.0"?>
<configuration>
    <startup>
        <supportedRuntime version="v4.0.30319" />
    </startup>
</configuration>

Replace the "supportedRuntime version" tag value with the version of .Net you are going to be using to debug with.

There may be some other things you need to wrestle with in the VS or Windows environment to get it going - but from memory it's quite simple (mine's working in VS 2010, but don't recall exactly what I had to do... I think it was simply the .exe.config file creation).
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 755

Re: Breakouts

Postby SBarnes » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:34 pm

Hi Mike,

I tried adding the config file to launch jit debugging but it doesn't seem to work with the config below, my looking on the net states that the executable must be complied with debugging enabled as well, could this be the cause as to why it won't work against the jiwa production executable?

<?xml version ="1.0"?>
<configuration>
<startup>
<supportedRuntime version="v4.0.30319"/>
</startup>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan