PowerApps  Topic is solved

Discussions relating to the REST API of Jiwa 7.

PowerApps

Postby pricerc » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:24 pm

Has anyone here tried using PowerApps to query JIWA using REST, or a JIWA database hosted in SQL Azure ?

I'm working on a proposal; prospect would like read-only mobile access to a few things like price lists, stock-on-hand, service history.

I realise that Xamarin is an option. But then I realised that PowerApps is also an option.

Either way, I have a learning curve, but PowerApps looks like it'll have a lower learning curve, no setup kits, and a quicker time-to-deploy.
/Ryan

ERP Consultant,
Advanced ERP Limited, NZ
https://aerp.co.nz
pricerc
Senpai
Senpai

Topics Solved: 20

Re: PowerApps  Topic is solved

Postby Mike.Sheen » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:12 am

pricerc wrote:Has anyone here tried using PowerApps to query JIWA using REST, or a JIWA database hosted in SQL Azure ?

I'm working on a proposal; prospect would like read-only mobile access to a few things like price lists, stock-on-hand, service history.

I realise that Xamarin is an option. But then I realised that PowerApps is also an option.

Either way, I have a learning curve, but PowerApps looks like it'll have a lower learning curve, no setup kits, and a quicker time-to-deploy.

I did look at PowerApps about 2 years ago when our REST API was first released. The one problem I encountered was the OpenAPI spec document we generate which PowerApps needs was about 2MB in size, and PowerApps had a limit of 1MB.
I managed to work around that, by generating the OpenAPI spec document and downloading it as a file, and trimming out the bits I didn't need and then giving PowerApps that modified spec document.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 755

Re: PowerApps

Postby Mike.Sheen » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:46 am

Mike.Sheen wrote:I managed to work around that, by generating the OpenAPI spec document and downloading it as a file, and trimming out the bits I didn't need and then giving PowerApps that modified spec document.

After pondering this I think a much easier way of getting an OpenAPI spec document exposing the just the surface area you need would be:
  • Edit the REST API plugin and comment out the adding of routes you don't need
  • Restart the REST API service
  • visit /openapi on your api to generate the openapi spec document, or point PowerApps to the /openapi route
  • Revert the changes to the REST API plugin
  • Restart the REST API service
  • Profit!
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 755

Re: PowerApps

Postby SBarnes » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi Ryan,

Whilst not having looked at power apps I did a proof of concept with Xamarin which I posted some information on that here https://forums.jiwa.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=780. On the downside if you need to develop for IOS you need a Mac.

One other option if you are familiar with asp.net MVC is to develop a site that is mobile friendly as well as web friendly, I've used ServiceStack from this environment and it works quite well, although you need to use Jiwa 7.2 SR6 or above for better performance.

For Xamarin and asp.net MVC for mobile you can find useful starting resource with free EBooks that are only about 100 pages long from Synfusion here https://www.syncfusion.com/ebooks
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Topics Solved: 175

Return to REST API