Small Mac-based site.

Discussions relating to plugin development, and the Jiwa API.

Small Mac-based site.

Postby pricerc » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:27 am

We have a potential one-user (for now) site who uses a Mac.

I assume it's just a case of getting a VM running with a SQL Express instance, but thought I'd check if anyone had any experiences to share?
/Ryan

ERP Consultant,
Advanced ERP Limited, NZ
https://aerp.co.nz
pricerc
Senpai
Senpai

Topics Solved: 20

Re: Small Mac-based site.

Postby SBarnes » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:03 pm

The only vm platform I have experience with using on the mac was virtual box a few year back because Xamarin used it for the android emulator, it was reasonably stable but it was starting android not windows.

It does have the obvious advantage of being free.

I've used vmware and got Jiwa going but that was under windows.
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Topics Solved: 175

Postby pricerc » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:09 pm

So I had my 'Mac expert' have a go at installing Jiwa using CodeWeavers https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-mac but it seems it has a 'Windows installer' version older than V5.

Going to see if we can grab an installed version from a Windows box and run up the executable, but not holding out much hope at this point.
/Ryan

ERP Consultant,
Advanced ERP Limited, NZ
pricerc
Senpai
Senpai

Postby SBarnes » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:39 pm

I never considered this as I've only done dual boot with windows and Linux but see https://www.howtogeek.com/187359/5-ways ... -on-a-mac/ and https://www.howtogeek.com/186907/how-to ... boot-camp/ may be bootcamp is an option?

The other option is VMWare fusion which is just over $100 AUD
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Postby pricerc » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:54 pm

I know about the virtualisation options, but this is a single-user, very non-technical person who uses a Mac. So the CodeWeaver option has a lot of appeal, if we can make it work.
/Ryan

ERP Consultant,
Advanced ERP Limited, NZ
pricerc
Senpai
Senpai

Postby pricerc » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:21 am

So it seems like installation using the Codeweaver (or WINE, which Codeweaver is based on) is breaking on the 'SQL Server' part of the install.

From what I've been able to learn with a 2 minute Google search; SQL Server won't run in WINE. It will run on Linux in a Docker container, though.

We're going to try parallels next. It seems the 'business' version has a 'single application mode', and is only USD 99/year.

This did lead me to think (in conjunction with a separate discussion about supporting other databases) if there would be a case for a 'client only' installation for Jiwa that excludes all the SQL 'server' components? Obviously, this version would be unable to create databases (even a demo one), but that may have uses outside of this discussion: e.g. in a larger network, it may be desirable to have a client install rolled out in a group policy, and they may not want people to be able to create their own databases.
/Ryan

ERP Consultant,
Advanced ERP Limited, NZ
pricerc
Senpai
Senpai

Postby SBarnes » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:27 am

Hi Ryan,

I may have another alternative for you regarding this but I won't know until I get a reply on Monday for an email I sent yesterday to our director of professional services, so I'll let you know once I hear back.
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Postby pricerc » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:47 am

SBarnes wrote:Hi Ryan,

I may have another alternative for you regarding this but I won't know until I get a reply on Monday for an email I sent yesterday to our director of professional services, so I'll let you know once I hear back.

Thanks Stuart.

At this stage, this is still an investigation for a low-value prospect (literally one user), but I'm also seeing that, if we can make it work, there is a whole market to be opened up, which is why I'm prepared to make a bit of an effort. If it means producing a 'canned' Parallels-based VM, and we include licensing for Parallels as a 'Mac support module for JIWA' in their annual license fee, then that would work for me.

btw, My 'Mac expert' is really cheap, since he's my son. He's a tinkerer who likes this kind of challenge. I would have got him on to this earlier, but he was on jury duty for two weeks and I didn't want to distract him from that.
/Ryan

ERP Consultant,
Advanced ERP Limited, NZ
pricerc
Senpai
Senpai

Postby SBarnes » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:12 am

pricerc wrote:At this stage, this is still an investigation for a low-value prospect (literally one user), but I'm also seeing that, if we can make it work, there is a whole market to be opened up, which is why I'm prepared to make a bit of an effort.

The longer terms possibilities was my thoughts also.
Regards
Stuart Barnes
SBarnes
Shihan
Shihan

Postby Mike.Sheen » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:34 pm

pricerc wrote:if there would be a case for a 'client only' installation for Jiwa that excludes all the SQL 'server' components? Obviously, this version would be unable to create databases (even a demo one), but that may have uses outside of this discussion: e.g. in a larger network, it may be desirable to have a client install rolled out in a group policy, and they may not want people to be able to create their own databases.

You're making my palms sweaty just thinking about what this would involve! - not just the application, but increased burden on support, documentation and the like in dealing with the introduced complexities. The idea has merit - but the business case would need to see fair bit of demand for this to be worthwhile. As much as I love a good challenge - and this would be a fun project - I'm sure our bean counters would frown upon putting resources put into that without solid evidence of demand.

We are looking to making Jiwa more multi-tenant friendly for RDS environments - the main downside there being a need for an internet connection for customers to access their Jiwa. But if that's not an issue, I envisage a scenario where one RDS machine could serve multiple tenants (Jiwa customers) in a partitioned, secure and seamless fashion.

Obviously, you'd need to have a number of users across all tenants before you reach the cost effective break-even point - depending on the hosting costs.

I wouldn't consider multi-tenanting the databases - they'd need their own. We certainly could achieve that with introducing a tenantId per table and implementing row level security - but that's a fair amount of work and a lot of interesting problems would need to be solved, so I'm not entertaining that aspect of multi-tenanting.
Mike Sheen
Chief Software Engineer
Jiwa Financials

If I do answer your question to your satisfaction, please mark it as the post solving the topic so others with the same issue can readily identify the solution
Mike.Sheen
Overflow Error
Overflow Error

Topics Solved: 755

Next

Return to Technical and or Programming